The information below is provided to assist Tanzanian Nationals traveling or living Abroad and to inform them of measures to take in case of any eventuality.


1. Passports
All Tanzanian Nationals require a valid passport for travel outside the country. It is advisable that the passport be valid for at least six (6) months after the intended date of return.

It should be noted that Passports are not issued at Tanzanian Missions but rather at the Immigration Department, Dar es Salaam.

2. Procedures for Application and Issuance of New Passports.
Application for a new passport is lodged by the applicant at the Immigration Headquarters, Zanzibar and or any Regional or District Immigration Office where the applicant resides.

3. Documents to be Submitted to Support Application for a New Passport
Any application for a passport shall be accompanied by:

  • A birth certificate or an affidavit of birth or certificate of naturalization of the applicant.
  • A birth certificate or an affidavit of birth or certificate of naturalization of the applicant’s parent or parents.
  • Recent, clear and
  • Un-mounted passport size photographs as may be directed by the issuing authority.
  • In case of the applicant who is below the age of 16 years, the parent’s or legal guardian’s written consent.

4. Persons Entitled to Passport or Travel Documents

  • An ordinary passport may be issued to any citizen of the United Republic of Tanzania for a purpose of traveling to outside the country
  • A service passport may be issued to any citizen of the United Republic of Tanzania who is in the public service or is holding office as respectively specified
  • A Diplomatic passport may be issued to a citizen of the United Republic specified in the third schedule
  • An East African Passport may be issued to a citizen of the United Republic who intends to travel within the East African Community member states.
  • A certificate of Identity may be issued to a person other than a citizen of the \united Republic of Tanzania who cannot obtain a passport from the country of which he is a citizen or does not have citizenship of an y country for the purpose of traveling out side The United Republic of Tanzania.

5. Visa Requirements
Tanzanian Nationals may require entry visa to entry some countries. Click here to see visa requirements.

Some countries may require International Health Certificates of Vaccination against certain diseases like yellow fever, especially if the country one is traveling from is within the yellow fever zone. Please check with your health

6. Issuance of an Emergency Traveling Document (ETD)
An Emergency Travel Document may be issued to a citizen of the United Republic who is traveling on an Emergency journey and does not fulfill the normal requirements of getting a passport. A person who is stranded abroad and cannot get a passport or is being deported back home. Such document are issued at Tanzania Missions
See The cost of an emergency travel document

7. Lost or Stolen Passport/Travel Document
In case of loss of passport/travel document, please contact the Tanzania Embassy/High Commission. A police report of the stolen passport should be submitted at the Mission for further processes.

8. Registration of Tanzanian Nationals
Tanzania Nationals living abroad are strongly advised to register themselves at the nearest Tanzania Embassy/High Commission. Click here to register

9. Emergency

  • In the case of emergency please contact the nearest Tanzania Embassy/High Commission, Consul General Office of Honorary Consul Office. The address list can be accessed at the following website:
  • In the event of death of Tanzanian National abroad, the next of kin should inform the nearest Tanzania Mission.

10. Birth Certificates

  • Birth certificates are only issued by Registrar of Insolvency Trustee Agency (RITA).
  • Tanzanians living abroad may contact the Tanzania High Commission for assistance.

Application for Replacement of Passport.
Where a holder’s passport is lost, stolen or severely damaged an application for replacement shall be accompanied by sworn declaration of the circumstances surrounding the loss, theft or damage of the passport and authority to which the loss, theft or damage was reported.

Revocation of Passports and Travel Documents
The Commissioner of Immigration Services at any time can revoke the passport or travel documents granted or issued to the holder if:-

  • The holder of a passport permits another person to use his/her passport.
  • The holder of a passport has been deported or repatriated to the United Republic of Tanzania at the expense of the Government.
  • The holder has ceased to be a citizen of United Republic of Tanzania.
  • The holder engages in illicit drug trafficking, money laundering, migrant trafficking, terrorist act or any other illegal transaction. It is in national interest or national security.

Legalisation of Documents
Ministry fo Foreign Affairs and East African Cooperation Legal Unit and Department and Tanzanian Missions can assist in legalizing the following documents

  • Birth Certificates
  • Death Certificates
  • Educational Documents
Download File/s:

The Indian education system has conquered a strong position in international circuit. India is a popular destination for higher education amongst foreign students as the country has an unparalleled variety of academic courses.

A large number of students fly to India every year from all corners of the globe to satisfy their desire for learning more. Studying in India, the second largest higher education network in the World is an enriching experience in itself.

A welcoming atmosphere, non-discriminative approach and an assured educational and career growth is what attracts students from all over the world to India and assured educational and career growth.

There are universities focusing on the study of medicine, arts and language, journalism, social work, business, commerce, planning, architecture, engineering, and other specialised studies. Most Indian universities teach in English Medium and conduct special language classes for those weak in English.

India has an impressive list of universities and colleges sprawled across its major states and cities, which have inducted numerous foreign students from time to time. With 343 universities and 17000 colleges, India offers a wide spectrum of courses that are recognised globally.

Apart from undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses, there are many training and diploma-level institutes and polytechnics that cater to the growing demand for skill-based and vocational education. The quality education that India offers is within the reach of every income-group considering the reasonable fee structure. With 66 distance education institutions functioning in 60 universities besides 11 open universities, India has an enlarged outreach of distance education as well.

So, visit India and be a part of an educational system that lives on the values of quality, growth and truthfulness.

Studying in India is an enriching experience in itself that opens gates to professional growth. India offers many graduate, post graduate and doctoral level courses to NRIs and PIOs.

Most state and central level colleges have excellent faculty, course curriculum and accommodation facilities keeping in view the career growth and comfort of the students. Cited below is a list of the major undergraduate and post-graduate courses in India. The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs(External website that opens in a new window) provides detailed information on the colleges and institutes offering these courses:


Engineering and Technical Education

With 36 universities and 1195 colleges offering undergraduate and postgraduate engineering courses in various branches, India is rightly referred as a Mecca for finding engineers suited to cutting edge technology jobs.

Over 200,000 students take admission in Indian engineering institutes and colleges. All the engineering colleges / institutions in India are recognised and regulated by All India Council of Technical Education(External website that opens in a new window) (AICTE).

More on Engineering and Technical Education

Medical Education

Indian Medical Institutes are known worldwide for providing medical education of international standards. There are 18 university level institutions and 785 medical colleges offering undergraduate Programmes in medicine and related areas (including pharmacy, Ayurveda, Unani, Homeopathic and nursing).

All medical/ dental/ pharmacy/ nursing colleges in India are recognised and regulated by the statuary bodies i.e. Medical council of India / Dental Council of India /Pharmacy Council of India / Indian Nursing Council at central level.

Agricultural/Veterinary Education

India is the most preferred destination for agricultural education including study of animal sciences, dairy and fishery sciences. There are 40 renowned university level institutions and more than 199 colleges offering various courses in Agriculture. Undergraduate Programmes are offered in 11 major disciplines and postgraduate Programmes in as many as 65 different specialisations. All universities also offer Ph.D Programmes in these specialisations.

The universities offering medical educations in Indi/a are under the control of an apex national body, Indian Council for Agricultural research (IICAR), which is responsible for the promotion and coordination of agricultural research and higher education in various branches of Agriculture and Allied Science in India.

Management Courses

To meet the growing demand of management professionals, India started its first formalised management educational Programme in the late 1950s. Today, India has 600 institutes offering Programmes in management at undergraduate and postgraduate levels with prestigious institutes like the Indian Institute of management (IIMs).

All management colleges/institutes in India are recognised and regulated by All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), a statutory body of Government of India.

Natural/Applied Sciences/Liberal Arts and Humanities

Students from all over the world come to the Indian shores for study of Natural and Applies Sciences, Liberal Arts and Humanities, the reason- India has a wealth of resources, from infrastructure to faculty. A variety of Programmes are available in traditional liberal arts and humanities. There are 162 traditional universities and more than 7,494 colleges offering degree in Science/ Arts / Commerce. Undergraduate Programmes are offered in more than 150 disciplines and post graduate in 50 more than 50 specialisations.

Hotel Management and Tourism

The degrees offered by the Indian institutions in Hotel Management and Tourism studies equip students with all required skills and knowledge to effectively discharge supervisory and managerial responsibilities in the hospitality industry.

With 24 Institutes of Hotel Management (IHMs) and 6 Food Craft Institutes spread all over the country, India offers three-year degree Programme in hotel management and catering technology. The Indian Institute of Travel and Tourism Management(External website that opens in a new window) (IITM) offers short term courses designed for travel and tourism studies.

Fashion and Design Technology

India has always been the hub of textile and garment trade. There are as many as 75 institutes in India that offer courses in fashion, design technology and related fields. Training at these institutes is imparted keeping in mind the demands of the international market. The institutes are equipped with latest technologies, laboratories, workshops, design and research centres, libraries, and computers.

Are the Programmes offered by Indian institutions recognised?

It is mandatory for all universities/institutions offering professional and technical courses in India to be recognised by the national level statutory bodies established for the maintenance of norms and standards. Indian degrees are recognised worldwide.

Are distance learning Programmes offered in India?

Yes. India has about 11 universities exclusively offering distance education Programmes. Several regular universities also have separate distance education cells. Like, Delhi University has School of Open Learning that offers distance learning courses to students. The Indra Gandhi Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi, is one of the largest open universities in the world, running distance learning Programmes and catering to over one million students worldwide.

Do foreign students need to give GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS or any other test?

Indian universities do not insist on the above scores. However, since the academic programmes are taught in English medium, proficiency in English is a must. One should have studied Higher Secondary in English medium or English should have been one of his/her subjects.

Are there healthcare facilities in India for overseas students?

Most Indian institutions have their own campus clinics, where students are treated for ailments like fever, cough, cold, etc. If the students wish, the institutes can also help the students get medical insurances.

What are the accommodation alternatives available for overseas students in India?

All Indian institutions provide hostel accommodation for international students in the hostels located on campus. If they wish, the students can also stay outside, in private accommodations and rented flats.

From where can foreign students know more about the education options and quality level in India?

Foreign students can visit the following websites:

What is the cost of studying in India?

Indian Universities offer education at more affordable cost than any other recognised university in the world. The average cost of studying in India is almost one-fourth to that charged in western universities.

What is the cost of living in India?

Living expenses (food and other) in India are about USD 100-150 a month.

Do Indian universities offer scholarships to overseas students?

The Government of India provides scholarships to overseas students.

Do foreign students need to undergo any medical tests before coming to India?

All foreign students coming to India need to undergo a medical test for AIDS. The Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) requires this test as a pre-requisite for obtaining the Residence Permit Form.

Is registration with FRRO office mandatory?

All PIO students staying in India longer than 6 months are required to register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO). The following documents are required for registration:

  • Photocopy of the passport and initial visa
  • Four photographs of the applicant
  • Details of residents in India
  • HIVtest report from one of the WHO recognised institutions for people in the age group of 15 to 60
  • Bonafide certificate from the university/college/institution
  • Proof of Bank Account/sufficient funds for non-scholarship students

Whom should foreign students contact for further details on studying in India?

For enquires and admission, contact:

Head (Placement & Secondment),
Educational Consultants of India
Ed.CIL House, 18-A, Sector 16-A,Noida- 201301, INDIA
Direct: 91-120-2515281
EPABX: 91-120-2512001-06 
Fax: 91-120-2515372
Website: /

What is a student visa?

India offers various kinds of visas, depending on the purpose of visit. Student visa is a visa specifically for the students to desire to come to India for education purpose. Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, on the basis of letters of admission from Universities/recognised colleges or educational institutions in India. The children of NRIs and PIOs cardholders need not procure a student visa. Other international students need student visa or research visa for Doctoral level courses.

What are the pre-requisites for procuring a student visa? From where can one avail student visa?

Students need to procure confirmed letters of admission from universities or recognised colleges and institutions. Student visas can be obtained from any of the Indian Missions.

What are the pre-requisites for procuring a student visa?

To apply/ be eligible for a student visa, you need to conform to the following conditions.

If you are on Government of India scholarship, the respective Indian Missions would be advised by Indian Council for Cultural Relations(External website that opens in a new window) (ICCR) to issue a regular student visa after your admission in an Indian university is confirmed. However, if you are coming as a self-financing student, you need to produce letters of admission from universities or recognised colleges and institutions in India for obtaining the regular student visa.

If you are coming as a research student, synopsis of the research project countersigned by the sponsoring institution in India along with letter of approval are no objection certificate from the concerned Ministries in India should be submitted for necessary visa.

Note: Processing of applications for research may take about three months.

Can I get the visa even if I don't have a confirmed admission letter?

There is nothing to worry if your admission is still not confirmed. Students who do not having firm letters of admission from universities or institutions are issued Provisional Student Visa by the Indian Missions abroad, on the basis of provisional letters of admissions. However Provisional Student Visa is valid for 3 months. Within these 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed otherwise you will have to leave India.

Note: No extension of Provisional Student Visa is permitted.

Can I change my University/ College after coming to India?

You need to mention the name of the Institute while applying for the visa, which is then mentioned on the visa. A request for change of university or institution subsequently made cannot be considered. In this case you would be required to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa.

Can I get my tourist visa converted to a student visa?

"Change of purpose" of visit of international students to India is not allowed once they arrive in India. Therefore, if you come to India on tourist or any other type of visa, you cannot get this visa changed to student visa. According to government regulations, if an international student coming to India on a tourist or any other type of visa (except a student visa ), obtains admission into a university or any institution in India, the student will be required to return to his country and obtain a new visa (i.e. a student visa) from the Indian mission there.

To avoid this situation, all self- financing international students are advised to obtain regular or provisional student visa from Indian missions abroad by producing confirmed or provisional letters of admission from a university or an institution.

Can I get a Student Visa directly from Indian Missions abroad?

Yes, you can provided you have confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognised institute in India.

Where can I apply for the visa?

The visa can be applied for from any of the Indian Embassies / High Commission. View the list of Indian Embassies / High Commission. You can also view the sample visa form(External website that opens in a new window).

Are there any rules and regulations that I need to conform to?

Yes, while applying for the visa you need to keep in mind the following regulations: Passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India should accompany your visa application. Students holding other nationalities (other than the country where applying for visa), should submit proof of long-term (at least three years)/ permanent residence in the country (where applying). For citizen of other countries, a reference has to be made to their country of residence for which an additional fee is applicable and will involve extra processing time. Please refrain from making inquiries about the status of application during this time.

How much is the student visa fees?

The fee structure depends on the nationality of the passport holder and type/duration of visa applied. These fees are payable in the local currency as well. Please check with the Indian embassy in your country for exact visa fees.

What are the formalities that foreign students should do on arrival?

Foreign students holding Student Visa of more than 180 days are required to register himself/herself with the local Foreigners Regional Registration Officer(External website that opens in a new window) (FRRO) within 14 days of arrival.

Is any approval/NOC required from any other Ministry or Department for technical courses?

So far as admission to diploma/degree/post-graduate degree in engineering and Technology, Architecture & Town Planning, Pharmacy, Applied Arts, MBA, MCA, Hotel Management & Catering Technology are concerned, there is no requirement of NOC from MHRD. However, with respect to courses in medical or para-military courses, NOC from M/o Health will be required.

What a foreign student should do for extension of his/her Student Visa?

He/she should approach the local FRRO/FRO with authentic certificate, proof of adequate financial standing etc.

How many entries are allowed to foreign students?

A. Normally one entry. However, on veritable reasons, a foreign student can apply for additional entries at Visa Facilitation Centre, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh Road, New Delhi - 110003.

When a foreign student travels abroad on a return visa & he/she re-enters India after expiry of 90 days from the date of departure from India, will he/she be given entry?

Return VISA given to students is valid for re-entry to India within a period of 90 days only. In such case a foreigner should obtain a fresh student visa from Indian Mission abroad to enter into India and then can take regular extension on the basis of fresh authentic certificate from college/university.

Can a registered student, who has completed his graduation, get extension for Post Graduate courses by FRRO/FRO?

Yes. A registered student, who has completed graduation, can apply for extension to carryout a post graduate course from concerned FRRO/FRO cum Superintendent of Police provided he produces an authentic certificate from his institution.

If a foreign student who has come on a student visa joins a new course will fresh visa fee be charged from him?

Yes, on permission of undertaking a new course, a fresh course fee is charged.

Whether visa fee can be charged from foreign students every year?

Visa fee is charged once at the time of issuance of Student visa for completion of the course or for 5 years whichever is less.

In case of 'Provisional Student VISA' when a student seeks regular admission in any college/university then one time course fee is charged which is valid for the duration of the course or for 5 years whichever is less. If the visa is issued for a period less than the duration of the course, then the visa would be extended by the concerned authorities without charging any additional fees

Can foreign students with Indian Student Visa visit the restricted/prohibited areas?

Yes, foreign students can visit the restricted and prohibited areas in India after getting a valid Resident Permit as visa alone is not sufficient to visit such places.

Whether foreign students can carryout studies in M. Phil on student visa?

Yes, for carrying out M. Phil, a Student VISA is required.

Utaratibu Unaotumika na Serikali Kugharamia Matibabu ya Wagonjwa Nje ya Nchi.

Serikali ina utaratibu wa kupeleka na kugharamia matibabu ya wagonjwa nje ya nchi, kwa wagonjwa ambao uchunguzi au matibabu yao, hayawezi kufanyika katika hospitali maalumu na za Rufaa  nchini kwa sababu ya kukosa vifaa tiba, wataalamu, na baadhi ya madawa ambayo hata kama madawa hayo yangekuwepo nchini bado isingekuwa rahisi kutumika kwa kuwa, hakuna huduma ya maabara kwa ajili ya kupima viwango vya madawa hayo mwilini na urekebishwaji wake.

Wagonjwa hao ni lazima wapendekezwe na jopo la Madaktari Bingwa, sio chini ya watatu, na kupitiwa na Wakurugenzi watendaji, kutoka katika hospitali maalum za Rufaa nchini. Kisha ombi la rufaa litapelekwa Wizara ya Afya na Ustawi Wa Jamii ili kujadiriwa katika Kamati kwa ajili ya kupata kibali cha kutibiwa nje ya nchi.

Baada ya rufaa kupata kibali cha Kamati, mgonjwa ataandaliwa na kupelekwa nje ya nchi, ili kupatiwa huduma ya matibabu, kwa gharama za serikali. Fursa hii ipo sawa kwa wananchi wote.

Utaratibu huu ni maalum kwa ajili ya kuandaa rufaa ya namna hiyo na hatimaye kupata Kibali cha Wizara ya Afya na Ustawi wa jamii. Hospitali husika zinazotoa rufaa ni Hospitali ya Taifa ya Muhimbili (MNH), Taasisi ya Moyo ya Jakaya Kikwete (Jakaya Kikwete Cardiac Institute)Taasisi ya Mifupa ya Muhimbili (MOI), Taasisi ya saratani ya Ocean Road (ORCI) za Dar es Salaam, Hospitali ya Rufaa ya Mbeya (MRH), Hospitali ya KCMC, Kilimanjaro na Hospitali ya Bugando, Mwanza, ambazo zinaufahamu na kuutumi utaratibu huo.


Hata hivyo, kuna baadhi ya Madaktari katika hospitali hizo, ambao hawazisimamii taratibu zilizowekwa na Serikali.  Aidha baadhi ya wagonjwa husafiri kwenda nje, bila kupata rufaa na ushauri maalumu. Hali hiyo, huwaletea usumbufu wagonjwa wengi na hospitali za nje zinazowapokea na Serikali kwa ujumla, hasa pale ambapo gharama za matibabu zinapokuwa juu, kuliko uwezo wa mgonjwa alivyojiandaa.

Kwa kuzingatia hali hii, Wizara inatoa tahadhari, kwa wale wote wanaokwenda kupata matibabu nchi za nje, bila kufuata utaratibu uliowekwa, kwamba, Serikali haitahusika na gharama za mgonjwa atakayetafuta matibabu nje ya nchi, kinyume na utaratibu uliowekwa.

Iwapo utaratibu uliowekwa wa rufaa haukufuatwa, Wizara ya Afya na Ustawi wa Jamii haitakubaliwa kisheria, kugharamia huduma zote, za uchunguzi au matibabu yatakayotolewa na hospitali za nje ya Tanzania. Wizara ya Afya na Ustawi wa Jamii inawaomba wananchi wanaokuja nchini India kwa matibabu ya kujigharamia wenyewe ni vema wapate maelezo ya kina kuhusu matibabu yao kabla ya kuondoka nchini kuja India katika Wizara ya Afya-Kitengo cha Wagonjwa wa Nje ya Nchi au Ofisi ya Mwambata wa Afya, Ubalozi wa Tanzania, New Delhi kwa barua pepe:

Tunaomba tushirikiane ili kuepusha matatizo.